[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 547: include_once(./includes/auth/auth_db.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 547: include_once(): Failed opening './includes/auth/auth_db.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php')
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1035: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1035: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
TEWLIP.COM • View topic - Atomic clocks out of sync?

Atomic clocks out of sync?

Relativity is discussed in Chapter 7 of the TEW book. Currently the Theory of Elmentary Waves only deals with Special Relativity issues - not General Relativity.

Atomic clocks out of sync?

Postby LocalDude » Sun May 03, 2009 5:58 am

Dr Little states on page 81 of his book (The Theory of Elementary Waves) that "Clocks do not actually slow down when they move; they merely appear to slow down."

My understanding was that a moving atomic clock falls out of sync with a ground-based one and that if the moving clock is returned to earth and set next to the ground-based one, the two clocks will still be out of sync.

This sounds like a "real" effect and not just a visual one.
LocalDude

Re: Atomic clocks out of sync?

Postby prodos » Sun May 03, 2009 6:08 am

Lewis Little replied to this question by email. I reproduce his reply here:
In the book I have considered only the special theory of relativity. The special theory predicts no change to the actual rate of clocks.

The general theory [of relativity] does predict a change, and this is what is alleged to be observed in the experiments you mention. I say "alleged" because I have not as yet worked out the TEW picture of gravity/general relativity.

However, given the fact that gravity is a real physical effect, not merely the result of a change to one's frame of reference, a change to the rate of clocks would not necessarily be unexpected.

In my own follow-up question I asked Dr Little: What if there were two atomic clocks, stationary to each other and synchronized. Now one clock flies off, moves in a circle, and again meets up in the same spot with the other clock?

Dr Little explained to me (on the phone) that, as this scenario involves acceleration (rather than steady speed/velocity), it would also be part of a General Theory of Relativity explanation - rather than a Special Theory of Relativity explanation - and his comment (above) applies.
prodos
Site Admin

Return to Relativity